More of the ruins.
Surprisingly-Julius Caesar's grave.
More Roman ruins. This is the Temple of Antonnius and Faustina.
Trevi Fountain. Ten years ago when I was here I threw my two coins over my left shoulder. Legend has it that if you do this you will return to Rome one day--and I did! So, I threw my coins again. Maybe I will return again some day.
Actually, we all threw our coins.
Last day-Tuesday, June 16
Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basicilica Tour
This is the facade of St. Peter's Bascilica. It is the largest Catholic Basilica in the world. When I was here before I did not get to see the facade because they had scaffolding all on the front as they were preparing for the millenium. Chairs were set up for the next day for the Pope to do his usual Wed. speech. The Louisiana group was going to attend it as they were staying a day longer than we were.
Betty and me in front of St. Peter's.
The Pope's residence . The third window from the right on top is the window he comes out when he waves to the crowd. You have probably seen this on TV many times.
Last, but not least is St. Ignatius Church where our Sanctuary Choir from First Baptist Dothan sang The Creation in 1999. I just had to go back and I had tears in my eyes as I remembered that special time in my life. What an opportunity we had!! This just has to be my favorite of all the churches in Rome.
This is a picture above the altar of St. Ignatius.
We had pizza our last night at a brick oven pizza restaurant in Rome. We said good-bye to our Louisiana friends and headed back to our hotel for a short night's nap. We had to leave our hotel the next morning at 4 am in order to catch the 6 am flight out of Rome. We flew back to Frankfurt, Germany and then on to Atlanta.
We had one surprise when we arrived in Atlanta. Before we left Rome we were given a sack breakfast. An apple was one of the items that was in it. Friuts, vegetables, seeds, etc. are not allowed to be brought in the the USA. When we went through customs, the agriculture dog followed by his officer approached Betty's bag and started digging in it. She had forgotten to throw out the apple before leaving Rome. Then, he also sniffed out Wayne's bag and found the same. They were taken to customs security and then released. Betty's first thought was that someone had planted drugs in her bag. What a relief to find that it was just an apple!
We had a wonderful trip, but it is always good to be back in the best country in the world. The good ole USA!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment